Parents, Guardians and Caregivers
Are you looking for resources to be supportive of your child, teen, group home youth? Find resources for you and your family here. To view a complete list of resources, click here.
For useful books and local meetings, scroll down on this page.
Advocates for Informed Choice
(Formerly Institute for Intersex Children and the Law)
COLAGE (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere) (Bay Area)
People with a Gay Lesbian Bisexual or Transgender Parent
Billy DeFrank (San Jose)
Gender Spectrum (Oakland)
Gender Spectrum provides education, training and support to help create a gender sensitive and inclusive environment for all children and teens.
Our Family Coalition
The Bay Area’s LGBTQ Family Organization
Project Safety Net (Palo Alto)
For youth to get through tough times or help a friend.
The Youth Space in (SJ)
For lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and ally youth and young adults ages 13-25, living in Santa Clara County
Bay Area Transgender and Intersex Resources
NOTE: Many of the organizations above provide transgender/intersex friendly support/advocacy and education.
Useful Books for Parents and Guardians
- Parent Tip Sheets on Bullying by Common Sense
Spanish 1 (pdf), Spanish 2 (pdf), English 1 (pdf), English 2 (pdf)
- Cyberbullying Reading List
Available for checkout in Santa Clara County Office of Education
- Lesbian & Gay Youth: Care & Counseling by Donna Futterman & Caitlin Ryan
- Now That You Know: A Parents’ Guide to Understanding Their Gay and Lesbian Children by Betty Fairchild & Nancy Hayward
- Straight Parents, Gay Children: Keeping Families Together by Robert A. Bernstein,
- Always My Child: A Parent’s Guide to Understanding Your Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered or Questioning Son or Daughter by Kevin Jennings
- The Family Heart: A Memoir of When Our Son Came Out by Robb Forman Dew
- Prayers for Bobby: A Mother’s Coming to Terms with the Suicide of Her Gay Son by Leroy Aarons
- Loving Someone Gay by Don Clark
PFLAG Meetings Locally
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbian and Gays – and Bisexuals and Trans and Queer and Questioning folks, too!
PFLAG San Jose / Peninsula
Phone Number: 408-270-8182
Redwood City PFLAG
Meets every 2nd Monday 7:30 p.m.
Sequoia Union High School District Offices
480 James Avenue, Redwood City
San Jose PFLAG
Meets every 2nd Wednesday 7:30 p.m.
First Congregational Church 1980 Hamilton Ave. (at Leigh) San Jose
PFLAG Fremont/East Bay
PO Box 754
Fremont, CA 94537-6816
Phone: (510) 226-6816
Call or email for info about meetings
PFLAG Danville / San Ramon Valley
Phone: (925) 833-1019
Meets the third Monday of every month from 7:00 – 9:00 PM at the Danville Congregational Church, 989 San Ramon Valley Blvd, Danville, CA